Monday, December 7, 2015

The One(s) That Got Away



So I'm an antique quilt collector. And some of my R&D involves cruising ebay and other online auctions. When I see something strange and wonderful (notice how I almost always combine those terms-) but the quilt is already too dear for me to even consider bidding, I save a picture if I can and file away in a rather large file under the heading "Interesting as seen on ebay." There will always be a few that I regret missing. 






So this is a roll call of the ones that got away, with an emphasis on the fan shape. Please note that I neither recorded the dates or who the seller was--all I wanted was the graphic memory of the long-gone quilt. if any of these quilts belong to you, I am more than willing to insert attribution so contact me.






A close-up from the Polka Dot Fan quilt as seen above. It's got to be Southern. The zippy color scheme plus the slightly wonky oversize dots makes me wonder if I could be so bold in my own quiltmaking. 








This old beauty is a wool quilt of Mennonite origin. Love this dramatic pieced pattern that falls diagonally down the quilt supported by large squares of plaids and plains. I even like the picture where it's slung casually over a wire fence!












And there's this killer fan quilt top I still dream about--from Missouri I think.








Detail of the Killer Fan. Love the skinny red shapes that tie the fans together within the block.






Finally a wonderful combination of a fan+crazy quilt. A one-of certainly. 




4 comments:

Penny Prichard said...

I can see why you preserve these quilts in your memory. Stunning, bold and beautiful.

Penny Prichard said...

I can see why you preserve these quilts in your memory. Stunning, bold and beautiful.

Cathy said...

Such wonderful quilts. Thank you so much for sharing. Hugs

Vicki Lane said...

These are all so wonderful! I, too, have a virtual collection of quilts. Will be adding these.